What is Stability of Tenure Principle?
The principle of stability of tenure of personnel means that in the organization there should be job security for the employees, and there should not be frequent changes in employees’ positions.
According to this principle, the manager should make sure that once the employees are hired they must be stable, they must feel job secure, and stay longer in the organization. Here, tenure means the time duration of employees in the organization, the longer they contribute their effort, the more efficient become the organization.
The manager should not let feel his employees of job insecurity. When they feel their job is secure, it helps them to develop experience and efficiency. When they stay longer they get to know every aspect of the organization from objectives to resources. It helps them to make better decisions, coordinate effectively, utilize resources optimally, and hence increase their productivity. It emphasized that quality, skilled employees should be retained by the management.
In addition, their belongingness also seems to increase for the organization. They feel motivated and devote their optimum efforts. However, when the stability of the tenure principle is ignored it creates poor management, labor turnover increases, increases further selection costs, and reduces productivity.
Positive of stability of tenure of personnel principle:
- It helps to increase productivity.
- Employees feel their job security and are committed to staying longer.
- Employees’ satisfaction increases, they feel motivated and work harder.
- Employees’ efficiency is increased.
- Effectively and efficiently attainment of organizational goals.
- Employee turnover is low.
- Effective utilization of organizational resources.
- Best way to retain and use quality employees.
Results of not following stability of tenure principle of management principle:
- Lack of employee commitment.
- Low employee efficiency.
- Low employee motivation.
- Turnover rate increases.
- Since turnover increases the cost of selection, supervision, and training also increases.
- Makes difficult to achieve the desired goal effectively and efficiently.
Read Next: Esprit De Corps Principle of Management