BBA | BBA-BI | BBA-TT | BHM | BHCM | BCIS
In this story Sheps Hobby, James, narrator a vet, cow name Rose, and the dog named Shep. This start when the narrator goes Mr. Bailes’s house to treat the Rose, she was suffering from stomach trouble of unknown nature. As the narrator walking near the wall, suddenly Shep jumped and frightened the writer. He treats the cow. Next, day writer also comes to the farm of Mr. Bailes to see the condition of Cow. But still, she does not out from the stomach. Seeing this the writer felt some hopeless. And, this time also dog barked at him.
Again next day, the writer comes to the Bailes house but this time he saw the cow in good condition. She running on the farm. He felt happy. But it is the work of the postman who cured the cow by making running or galloping her. Then, the writer goes to the kitchen of Mr. Bailes to wash hand, again dog frightened him. But this time he was so angry and threatened him. Then, again the next day the writer come to the house of Mr. Bailes but this time the dog does not react to him. And, seeing this the speaker (narrator) was happy.
This story is trying to show us nature, the habit of animals. And, their relationship with the human. In this story, Shep was presented. It says animals have also their own way of making entertainment. They have also sense as the human being, they understand what we do, and what we speak, as well as they felt pain and pleasure, as Shep has done. So, maybe it says we human being does not think we only have the feeling of the pleasure and pain.
This story is interesting to read. Where it shows the relationships between animals and human being. However, after reading this story, I am not convincing with some statements of the text. And it creates some questions in my mind. They are:
- Can we believe a dog takes entertainment by barking to people?
- How can the dog understand the threatening of human?
- How is it possible to stop dog barking by threatening from the human?
- Is all dogs has sense like the Shep?
In this way, it created some question in my mind.
Before reading this ‘Sheps Hobby’ story I always used to think that a dog has no thinking ability like us. And, I used to threaten them as I need. But after reading this story I realized that I have done the big mistake to dog. And I have decided from now not do this type of activities and make good relation with the animals.
For offline read download PDF file Shep’s hobby
Management notes Managerial Hierarchy/ level
Similarities and contrast between Sheps Hobby and The Stickeen
Compare/ similarities between Stickeen and Sheps Hobby
- Both stories try to show the behavior of the dog.
- After threatening they too much obedient.
- At first both narrators do not like but at last, they loved them.
- Both story tires to reflect that the intention or hobby of dog.
- Both stories give a message to the readers that animals have also human ability as well as they have also friendship nature.
Contrast/ difference between Sheps Hobby and Stickeen
- The Shep was a large dog but Stickeen was a small dog.
- The Shep used to bark to strangers but Stickeen used to follow them.
- Shep takes entertainment by frightening to strangers but after doing hard work Stickeen used to take entertainment.
- Shep stays in the house all the time but Stickeen used to go a journey to outside.
- Until the last of the story Shep stays with the owner but at last of the story, Stickeen was stolen by others.
- The story Shep’s Hobby written by James Herriot and Stickeen written by John Muir.