Management Notes (Chapter Wise)
Management is the art of managing people and materials in an organizational setting. In this article, we have made a complete list of management notes.
In this, management note article, we have included the topics like what is management, what is planning, what is controlling, organization, manager, leadership, motivation, and many more.
In most universities, the management subject is studied as the Principles of Management, so it would not be a mistake if we rename it as the Principles of Management Notes.
Now let’s look at complete chapter-wise notes on management. Note: to access the information, click on each of the links you want to further know about.
Chapter 1: The Nature of Management
The first chapter of Principles of Management Subject includes the topics like definition, characteristics of management, principles of management, process, and functions of management, managerial hierarchy and levels, managerial skills, and roles, emerging issues and challenges for management, management theories, and environmental context to management.
Here is the link to these topics of the management subject.
Introduction To Management:
- What is Management? Definition, Features, Principles, & Importance
- What is Manager?
- Qualities of a Good Manager
- Characteristics of Management
- Importance of Management
- Principles of Management
- Division of Work Principle
- Authority and Responsibility Principle
- Discipline Principle of Management
- Unity of Command Principle
- Unity of Direction Principle
- Subordination of Individual Interest To General Interest Principle
- Remuneration of Personnel Principle
- Centralization Principle
- Decentralization Principle
- Scalar Chain Principle
- Order Principle
- Equity Principle
- Stability of Tenure of Personnel Principle
- Initiative Principle
- Esprit De Corps Principle
- Levels of Management
- Top Level Management
- Middle-Level Management
- Lower Level Management
- Managerial Roles
- Functions of Management
- What is Management Process?
- 3 Managerial Skills
- Emerging Challenges in Management
- What is Organization?
- Classical Management Theory
- Scientific Management Theory
- Principles of Scientific Management Theory
- Administrative Management Theory
- Principles of Administrative Management Theory
- Bureaucratic Theory of Management
- Principles of Bureaucratic Theory of Management
- Human Relations Theory of Management
- Need Hierarchy Theory (Maslow’s 5 Levels)
- Theory X and Theory Y
- Two Factor Theory
- Management Science Theory
- System Theory of Management
- Contingency Theory of Management
- System Theory of Management
- Theories of Management
- New Trends in Management
Chapter 2: Planning and Decision Making
The second chapter of Principles of Management includes topics like mentioned below:
Organizational Goal Setting:
Planning in Management:
- What is Planning in Management?
- Importance of Planning
- Types of Planning
- Process of Planning
- Methods of Planning
- Strategic Planning and Process
Decision-Making in Management:
- What is Decision-Making?
- Types of Decision Making
- Ways To Improve Decision-Making Skills
- Decision-Making Process
- Conditions of Decision Making
- Tools and Techniques of Decision Making
- Group Decision Making
- Techniques of Group Decision Making
Chapter 3: Organizational Structure and Staffing
Management Notes: The third chapter of the subject principles of management include the topics like organizational structure and staffing.
The followings are the topics in management’s 3rd chapter.
Organizing in Management:
- What is Organizing?
- Importance of Organizing
- Emerging Concepts in Organizing
- Approaches to Organizing
- Process of Organizing
- Principles of Organizing
Organizational Structure and Design:
- What is Organizational Structure?
- Types of Organizational Structure in Management
- Line Organizational Structure
- Functional Organizational Structure
- Line and Staff Organizational Structure
- Committee Organizational Structure
- Matrix Organizational Structure
- What is Departmentalization?
- Functional Departmentalization
- Customer Departmentalization
- Departmentalization by Territory
- Departmentalization by Process
- Departmentalization by Time
- Departmentalization by Product
- Delegation of Authority
- Formal Organization
- Informal Organization
- Job Design
Staffing in Management:
- What is Staffing?
- Process of Staffing
- 5 Functions of Management (Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, & Controlling)
Chapter 4: Leadership, Work Teams, Motivation, Conflict, and Communication
Management Notes: In the fourth chapter of the subject Management the topics include leadership, work teams, motivation, organizational conflict, and organizational communication.
Leadership in Management:
- What is Leadership?
- Functions of Leadership
- Difference Between Management and Leadership
- Leadership Qualities
- 4 Styles of Leadership in Management
- Autocratic Leadership
- Democratic Leadership
- Laissez-Faire Leadership Style
- Paternalistic Leadership Style
- Path-Goal Theory of Leadership
- Contingency Theory of Leadership
- Trait Theory of Leadership
- Managerial Grid Style of Leadership
- Michigan Leadership Studies
Managing Teams and Groups in Management:
- What is a Team?
- How To Manage Teams in the Workplace?
- What is a Group?
- Types of Group
- Stages of Group Development
- Group Decision-Making
Motivation in Management:
- What is Motivation?
- Importance of Motivation
- Herzberg’s Motivation Theory
- Maslow’s Theory of Motivation
- Similarities and Dissimilarities Between Maslow and Herzberg’s Theories
- How To Motivate Employees?
Conflict in Management:
Communication in Management:
- What is Communication?
- Purpose and Objectives of Communication
- Communication Network
- Process of Communication
- Communication Flow
- Types of Communication
- Barriers to Communication
- How To Improve Communication Skills in the Workplace?
Chapter 5: Management Control System
Management Notes: In the fifth chapter of the subject principles of management topics include related to control systems and quality control.
Control System in Management:
- What is Quality?
- Quality Management
- Quality Control
- Total Quality Management (TQM)
- Factors Affecting Quality
- Deming Management
- Deming’s 14 Points for Quality
- Emerging Quality Management Issues
- Quality of Work Life (QWL)
Chapter 6: Organizational Change and Development
The sixth chapter is the last chapter in our list of chapter-wise notes on management subjects. It includes the topics of organizational change and organizational development.
Organizational Change in Management:
- What is Organizational Change?
- Forces of Organizational Change
- Resistance to Change
- How To Overcome Resistance To Change
- How To Implement Change in the Workplace
- What is Planned Change?
- Planned Change Process
Organizational Development (OD) in Management:
- What is Organizational Development (OD)?
- Process of Organizational Development
- Techniques of Organizational Development
In conclusion, the above-mentioned are the most common topics that are studied within the Management Subject. But, these are not all, there are many more. We will continuously add new topics in this management notes article. If possible, keep visiting us.