What is Esprit De Corps Principle?
The principle of Esprit De Corps means Union is Strength, the manager should develop a team spirit in employees, and the organization should work as a team and all the employees as its members.
This is the last of Henri Fayol’s 14 principles. As Fayol was French, Esprit De Corps is the Frech word which means Union is Strength and Team Spirit.
Esprit de corps principle of management states that teamwork is the foundation of success, there should be harmony and mutual understanding among all employees. When employees work in a team their belongingness, and mutual understanding increase and they contribute their efforts to achieve the same goal. This lets the organization do work with greater efficiency, positive attitude is developed among members.
Esprit De Corps assumes that two heads are greater than a single head. It gives priority to teamwork. As said, it assumes the organization is a family and all its members should be directed to achieve a common goal. All should be responsible and accountable for their actions and organizational goals whether the employees or management.
When team spirit and harmony among each other are developed the work is done in a timely, brings efficiency, employee morale is achieved, resources (people and materials) are properly used, saving efforts, and time, and overall productivity is increased.
Positive of esprit de corps principle:
- Team spirit is developed.
- Harmony and mutual understanding among each member of the organization.
- The organizational goal is achieved along with the group’s goals.
- Employee morale is high.
- Individual work burden is reduced since team spirit is maintained.
- The mutual relationship between management and a group of employees.
Results of avoiding esprit de corps principle:
- Team spirit, harmony, and mutual understanding are not realized.
- Conflicting situations in the organization.
- Role conflicts arise.
- Low employee morale.
- Employee participation is reduced.
- Individual efforts do not make as good results as team efforts.
Read Next: What is Planning?