Email (E-mail) Definition
Email is the electronic way for transmission of messages as well as information with the help of the internet. Via email we can send or receive information, information may be text, audio, video, image, etc. E-mail is fully based on the internet without the internet there is impossible to communicate with others via e-mail. But when there is an availability of internet it makes our works very easy.
Some Main Components of Email
- Username – username identifies your account on the email server that handles the email.
- @ – it means ‘at the rate’ which separates your account name and name of the mail server name.
- Domain name – The domain name usually consists of two pieces of identifying information. The first piece is the name of the e-mail server and located to the right of the “@”. The second piece usually has a three-letter extension that indicates the top level domain. Some top-level domains are .com, .org, .gov, .mil, .edu, .net.
E.g. firstname.lastname@example.org. Where, XYZ is a username, @ (at the rate), gmail domain name and .com type of domain.
Types of Email
E-mail is one of the most used features of the web. With the technology, you can not only send a text message but also digital such as image, audio, video, etc. attached with the e-mail messages. There are types of e-mail as mentioned below.
1. Web-based email accounts
All the web-based services provide both web-based free e-mail accounts and paid versions of the same with extra features. These are called web based e-mail accounts and services are as hotmail.com, gmail.com, yahoomail.com.
2. E-mail accounts provided by ISP
ISP generally provides an e-mail account for free with the internet connection.
3. Website e-mail accounts
Depending on your hosting package, you can create an e-mail on the website for yourself or your staff.
4. Email accounts from your company
If you work in a medium-sized or a large company they would probably have their own e-mail servers. Generally, you got your own e-mail address a few days after joining the company.
Email Major Advantages and Disadvantages
- The delivery of the message is fast.
- One message can be sent to different people at the same time.
- It enhances the communication system.
- It is more reliable and secure than paper mail.
- As a requirement, there is an editing facility of the messages.
- High graphics and multimedia file can be attached in an e-mail, etc.
- Without an educated receiver message will be useless.
- Without the internet, e-mail is not possible.
- To receive and send the message receiver and sender should be online.
- Sometimes may network failure occurs, which leads to discontinuing message transmission, etc.
For offline read download PDF file below