Introduction to E-mail, components, types, advantages & disadvantages
BBA | BBA-TT | BHCM
E-mail is the electronic way for transmission of messages as well as information with the help of internet. Via email we can send or receive information, information may be text, audio, video, image, etc. E-mail is fully based on the internet without internet there is impossible to communicate with others via e-mail. But when there is an availability of internet it makes our works very easily.
Some main components of e-mail
- Username – username identifies your account on the email server that handles the email.
- @ – it means ‘at the rate’ which separates your account name and name of the mail server name.
- Domain name – the domain name usually consists of two pieces of identifying information. The first piece is the name of the e-mail server and located to the right of the “@”. The second piece
is usually havethree letter extension indicates the top level domain.Some top leveldomains are .com, .org, .gov, .mil, .edu, .net.
E.g. [email protected]. Where, XYZ is a username, @ (at the rate), gmail domain name and .com type of domain.
Types of e-mails
E-mail is one of the most used features of the web. With the technology, you can not only send a text message but also digital such as image, audio, video, etc. attached with the e-mail messages. There are types of e-mail as mentioned below.
1. Web-based email accounts
All the web-based services provide both web-based free e-mail accounts and paid versions of the same with extra features. These are called web based e-mail accounts and services are as hotmail.com, gmail.com, yahoomail.com.
2. E-mail accounts provided by ISP
ISP generally provides an e-mail account for free with the internet connection.
3. Website e-mail accounts
Depending on your hosting package, you can create e-mail on the website for yourself or your staff.
4. Email accounts from your company
If you work in a medium-sized or a large company they would probably have their own e-mail servers. Generally, you got your own e-mail address a few days after joining the company.
Advantages of e-mail
- The delivery of the message is fast.
- One message can be sent to different people at the same time.
- It enhances the communication system.
- It is more reliable and secure than paper mail.
- As a requirement, there is an editing facility of the messages.
- High graphics and multimedia file can be attached in an e-mail, etc.
Disadvantages of email
- Without educated receiver message will be useless.
- Without the internet, e-mail is not possible.
- To receive and send message receiver and sender should be online.
- Sometime may network failure occur, which lead to discontinuing to message transmission, etc.
For offline read download PDF file below
Introduction to Ms-Access