What is E-Marketing?
E-Marketing is the process of doing marketing activities using various forms of electronic media, primarily the internet. E-Marketing stands for Electronic Marketing. Online marketing, internet marketing, digital marketing, etc. are interchangeably used hence considered synonymous.
E-marketing includes all the activities done by a business organization to promote and sell goods & services through the means of the internet. It helps to reach the target customers easily – persuade them regardless of any area. It comprises various technologies to help businesses to connect with existing as well as potential customers.
Online advertising, banner ads, Facebook advertising are some examples of e-marketing. In this modern age, most of the activities are done through online channels. Buying and selling of various goods and services by using various sites such as Amazon, Alibaba, with the help of smartphones, laptops, computers, and tablets. And these activities are increasing day by day as information technology advancing. As of 2021, 4.66 billion (59.5%), people are actively using the internet, which is a great chance for marketers to choose the right channel to drive the targeted customers.
The development of the field of information technology has revolutionized every aspect of marketing. Irrespective of the size and nature of business, information technology is a valuable addition to traditional marketing. In this part of the world, either the businesses that are small or big have their own website and are actively engaged in the transactional aspect of e-marketing.
It has increased the ability of companies to conduct their business faster, more accurately, at a reduced cost, over a wider range of time and space with customized & personalized customer offerings via websites. It has created an intranet facility for employees to communicate with one another and to facilitate downloading & uploading information. Companies have also set up extranets with major suppliers and distributors to facilitate information exchange, order, transaction, and payment.
Features of E-Marketing
Some salient features of e-marketing are,
- E-marketing provides firms the opportunity for global marketing.
- It is less expensive compared to other traditional means of marketing.
- It enables buying and selling of products from anywhere making the whole process of marketing easier.
- It allows the marketer to reach its targeted customers in a broad range of ways.
- Buyers are flooded with choices of products, services, and their sellers.
- It provides a vast array of information to both the buyer and seller.
- It is interactive in nature, both in terms of eliciting a response or providing an instant response. This is a unique quality in today’s competitive market.
When we talk about types of e-marketing there are different means which aid to successful marketing activities through the internet, some of them are,
Social Media Marketing. Today, social media is a great way to discover the world around us. It is a great source for smart marketers to make informed and aware of the company’s different types of products and services to people. Google, Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin, etc. are some great social media channels that you can use to market your ideas.
Email Marketing. It is considered to be one of the effective ways of marketing to the customers through email. You can make a list of your customers and send the email to make customers aware of your products, services, discounts, new offering, and other services directly to their inbox.
Blogging. Blogging is one of the effective ways to share your writing, passion, and offering on the online platform – helps to communicate easily. You can write about your product, its facilities, readers read & engage which leads to sales.
Affiliate Marketing. Affiliate marketing is a process of promoting other products and services through an online platform while earning some percent of commissions. It makes a win-win situation for everyone.
Video Marketing. Video always performs greater than word of mouth and pictures. It helps you to catch the attention of the right customers while promoting your product and services. There is a saying “One picture worth a thousand words and One video worth a thousand pictures”.
Webinars. A webinar is a great way to bring all the members and stakeholders of the company together regardless of significant distances. You can make online meetings, webinars through different software such as Zoom, Livestorm, Demio, WebinarJam, WebinarNinja, GoToWebinar, etc.
- Selling goods and services online.
- Additional customer service.
- Saving overhead costs.
- Exciting and sizzling means of visual impact.
- Every hit could gain a potential customer.
- Print and mailing costs are lower.
- Reduction in order processing and handling costs.
- Enhanced after-sales service.
- Distribution of digital products via the web.
- Get closer to the customer.
Although e-marketing has its share of advantages, there are few limitations too. Some of the major limitations of e-marketing are listed as follows:
- Customers cannot physically feel or try the product before buying.
- Marketers are deprived of adding the personal touch/ human factor in the process of exchange.
- Technology and high-speed internet is still a rare commodity in developing countries which makes the process complicated.
- There is a high chance of outright scams.