Discipline: Principle of Management
The principle of discipline means being obedient to seniors, respecting organizational rules, and behaving the way the organization wants.
In this principle, Fayol has emphasized that everyone should be disciplined whether it is employees or managers to achieve the target goals in the best possible way. In fact, this principle of discipline is the core value of organizational success.
The manager must establish a disciplined environment in the organization. It is natural that some have the inherent such quality and some have not – the manager should give priorities to these employees and make them disciplined to the organization and in himself.
In this course, the manager should not forget he too has to be disciplined. Discipline is a must for developing a sense of responsibility among all the members of the organization, which in turn, internally enhances the performance of employees and the organization.
For creating a disciplined environment, the manager should encourage his employees, motivate them, supervise appropriately, judge fairly, introduce reward systems, and so forth. The manager must try his best to develop a sense of self-responsibility in the employees.
Positive of this principle;
- It gives disciplined managers and employees.
- Since employees are disciplined, it does not cost it encourage and motivate them.
- Helps to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Internally motivated employees lead to productivity.
- Disciplined employees reduce the burden on the manager since he does not have to think about motivating them.
- A disciplined environment promotes a better working environment.
Negative of this principle:
- All employees may not be disciplined by themselves.
- The manager has to carefully study the undisciplined employees and apply appropriate means to make them disciplined, which becomes costly and time-consuming.
- Employees sometimes get disappointed with the rules and regulations of the organization.
- The manager has to always think about establishing a better working environment.