Departmentalization by Time
Departmentalization by time or time departmentalization is when the creation of departments is based on the working time such as morning shift, day shift, and night shift. It is done to provides flexible and timely service to the customers in order to increase their satisfaction level and also the employees.
This time departmentation method is applicable in those organizations that involve in public utility production or service. Generally, hospitals, hotels, telecommunication, banks, and other public utility organizations which work around the clock form departments on the basis of time-shift such as day, evening, and night shifts.
Here, a separate department is created on the basis of time shift, and a departmental head is appointed for each shift to maintain control of the activities of the concerned shift. While creating the time-based departments the further functional departments like production, finance, marketing, personnel also created.
A figure of departmentalization by time is as follows:
Advantages of Departmentalization by Time
- Departmentalization by time creates employee satisfaction.
- It helps to increase the production capacity within the limited resources.
- Enables customer satisfaction.
- This method is flexible and adaptable in changing working environments.
- Facilitates coordination by grouping members into shifts.
- Provides full responsibility to shift head to complete the activities which improve product/ service efficiency.
- It ensures the effective utilization of specialized skills and types of equipment.
Disadvantages of Departmentation by Time
- In departmentation by the time, there may be coordination between various departments becomes challenging.
- High possibility of making duplications of efforts and resources across divisions and departments.
- High chances of shifting the responsibility of one department to other departments.
- Less effective interdepartmental communication.
- It is only appropriate for public utility enterprises where the work is round the clock.
- The technical problem in one shift may create problems for the entire shift.
- The responsibility of total profit of an organization can not be assigned to a particular shift department.